adsterra

Friday, July 17, 2020

How To Keep Fit


Keeping fit…locally | Ruddington Parish Council

I’ve never liked exercise for the sake of exercise. But I did like walking and I began doing that in my 50’s. Long before it became a “thing” I used to walk around my neighborhood picking up trash. But, more generally, I would walk a half dozen blocks. And I stopped trying to park close in when shopping. And I took steps rather than the elevator.

I do like rambling around on my bicycle, always have. But I began going greater and greater distances. At first, when I started again after 12 years, it was hard going even a mile. But in time I could easily go 15 or 20 - especially if I did it with a friend while we discussed politics and science. Now in my 70’s, I can ride 30 miles of mixed terrain without resting, and 50 with an hour break. Perhaps more with two breaks. Dunno.

Also, I joined a gym. Some chains now charge as little as $13/mo. I try to exercise at least 5 days per week (I am retired) and use the gym when weather doesn’t permit biking. It bores me, however. So I have a half hour routine, then split. I have suspended that recently because of COVID-19. But I keep my dues up and I will resume when the virus abates.

Like most people, I struggle with weight. At the moment I am winning! It REALLY pays to be in shape as you get older. Otherwise, abilities you take for granted like getting out of a chair, rising off the toilet, getting up off the floor, become dangerously difficult. You want to preserve and foster balance, strength, and endurance. If you are over 50, you should be seeing a cardiologist once in a while.


5 Simple Tips for Fitness Success
  1. Exercise Daily. Exercise daily for at least an hour. ...
  2. Eat the Right Foods and Portion Each Meal. No matter how bad your stomach is telling you to go for candy over healthy food, try to stay away from sweets. ...
  3. Keep Track of Calories and Food Intake Per Day. ...
  4. Be Sure to Get Sleep. ...
  5. Stay Motivated.

No comments:

Post a Comment